Thessaloniki City Tour: A city to remember
Thessaloniki – the Greek co-capital with a unique geography. A bridge where not only the East and the West, the past and the present, but also the antiquity and the modern meet.
Located in the far north of the country, it has been for over 2,000 years a melting pot of cultures. The variety that one can enjoy in the city is really fascinating. Thessaloniki, which is known for its museums, churches, mosques, marketplaces and natural beauties, makes its guests feel that it was and still is one of the most significant cities in Greece. Important monuments like the ancient Roman Agora or the Arch of Galerius give away the rich history of Thessaloniki. Visit the Rotunda, the oldest monument with the city’s only minaret. Once a Roman Mausoleum, a Christian church and later a mosque, Rotunda gives to its guests a retrospective view of the longstanding history of Thessaloniki. “The Nymph of the North”, as the locals often call the city, has its own landmark. A 15th century fortification and nowadays an exhibition space of the Byzantine Museum of Thessaloniki, the White Tower is located on the city’s promenade and it is also a beloved meeting spot for the Thessalonians.
Greece’s thriving second city is fueled by optimism and hedonism. A walk in the center will make you feel immediately the hip vibe that flows everywhere. Additionally, the huge influence from other cultures, such as Byzantine, Ottoman, Jewish and western European, gave fair to Thessaloniki the title of Greece’s culinary capital. This is reflected in the blend of spicy Eastern, French, Balkan and Mediterranean flavors of its cuisine, and in its cosmopolitan vibe. Amazing sea-food, traditionally cooked dishes and unique sweets will leave you inexpressible emotions and put Thessaloniki in your mind as one of the most impressive destinations.
Book a Thessaloniki city tour and enjoy the activities that we offer:
- Well-organised tours, where you follow some of the most historical routes of the city: the Ottoman route, the early Christian and Byzantine route, the Jewish route and the UNESCO monuments route
- Walking tours, where you blend in with the local lifestyle and culture
- Cooking workshops, where you cook and taste some of the most famous and traditional Greek dishes
Thessaloniki City Tour – Must See Attractions In Thessaloniki:
- The White Tower and the new city’s promenade
- Thessaloniki Acropolis and Eptapyrgio
- Rotunda and the Arch of Galerius
- The Ancient Roman Agora and the Saint Demetrius’ Basilica
- Church of Hagia Sophia
- The Byzantine museum and the Archaeological museum of Thessaloniki
- Upper old town: Old Byzantine churches and Ottoman Hammam Baths
- Food and Spices market and flea market Bit Bazar
- Ladadika – City’s gastronomic center
- Valaoritou street – Vibrant nightlife quarter
Check our blog to find some interesting articles about what to do when in Thessaloniki and about the city’s food culture!