Meteora Tour: World’s cultural heritage
A trip to Meteora offers the unique experience of nature’s grandeur in conjunction with history, architecture and man’s everlasting desire to connect with the Divine. This magic place will make you feel awe.
The most interesting is that on these vertical cliffs stand historical monasteries that were built by monks. Only 6 of them have made it through the centuries, from an initial estimated number of 24, mostly dating to the 14th and until the 16th century.Meteora are perched above the town of Kalambaka (Thessaly), at a maximum height of 400 m (1200 ft). They are easily accessible by car and just three hours drive away from Thessaloniki airport or city.
It’s a phenomenal attraction that anywhere else in the world would be enough to warrant travel to the area, yet this cave is often overshadowed by the even more impressive and awe-inspiring buildings nearby.
This region of Greece has been attracting pilgrims and adventurers for thousands of years and, with the growth of adventure tourism, it’s set to continue providing thrills both spiritual and visceral.
While in Greece, don’t miss the chance to take our Meteora Tour and to visit this sacred site. Send us your request via our contact form.
- Visit the biggest and oldest monastery of all – the Great Meteoron Monastery.
- Visit the Holy Trinity Monastery – the most difficult to reach, but with a breathtaking panoramic view.
- See the gigantic rocks and learn about how these monasteries were built.
- Plan to spend a full day at Meteora. You will delight in the play of light on the rocks and their changing moods.
- Acquaint yourself with Greek Orthodoxy. It will enhance your appreciation of the churches and monasteries of Meteora and their valuable displays of Byzantine art. There are volunteers at the Church of the Transfiguration who will explain the rich tradition of Byzantine iconography.
- Discover peace and harmony in a place that once supported man on his eternal struggle for spiritual elevation.